Running For Beginners

This post should actually be titled "Running For Haters".  Am I right?!  I don't know about you, but I have always HATED running .... and I hated people who loved running.  Traitors!  HOW COULD THEY?!

I remember having to run as a requirement when I was in High School for P.E.  They only asked a mile of me each month but I thought I was going to die.  I couldn't breathe, couldn't find a rhythmic pace to get comfortable in, my legs felt like they were going to detach from my body and walk away in violent protest, and it felt (and tasted ... sorry, but it's true) like I was swallowing knives.  When the P.E. teacher shouted out "How's the running going?!" as we passed him at each completed lap I wanted to rasp back at him with "Whaaaaaat???  Running?  Me?  No.  I'm not running.  I'm bloodletting my throat.  It's healthy.  All the Medieval physicians say so."



My relationship with running hasn't gotten any better as I've matured.  I've tried.  Oh, Lord knows I've tried.  I bought cute outfits, read articles written by seasoned experts and Olympic gold winners in all the big magazines, talked to friends, thought I had E.I.A. (exercise induced asthma) so I got inhalers, bought gadgets, downloaded the Black Eyed Peas on my iPod, and Googled "running tips".  Determined to conquer running through sheer will power I even signed up for a half marathon *falls off chair laughing*.  I walked most of it.

*sigh*

Then, almost like magic, something happened.  That sheer will power is not to be taken lightly it seems.  Determined to try again I bought new shoes, and I changed things up, and I tried again ... and  it started working, and then I tried to go further ... and it felt good!  And then I ran 3 miles!  And then I finally felt that coveted "Runners High" where you don't want to stop and feel like you could go on running for miles yet.  Honestly, I'm still pinching myself.  The best part is, I can't wait to run again!  (What is this witchcraft?!)



So, here ... from one beginner to possibly another, here are my tips.  These have worked for me.  If learning to enjoy running is on your Bucket List too then I hope these will help you.

  1. Invest in good shoes and replace them every 600 miles.  I've found I that really like Asics.  I've seen them on sale as low as $55.00.  They're light weight, supportive and comfy.  Win!
  2. Do a few light stretches before you start.  Don't go over board.  A few leg swings, standing quad and standing calf stretches and I'm good to go.  I've even thrown in a few squats before for good measure, but I never spend more than about 3 minutes on stretching or I'll lose my mojo.
  3. I read on the treadmill to hold my interest and LOVE IT.  There's nothing like getting lost in a great book (shout out to The Wretched of Muirwood) to keep me running (yes, it can be done. Your eyes adjust to the bouncing in no time), but you may prefer nature and some hoppin' tunes on your iPod.  To each his own!  Go with what moves you.  Literally.
  4. I'm 5'4 and as I said before, I use a treadmill.  I start out walking at a 3.5 for a one lap warm up.  When I first started out I walked for half a lap (after the warm up) at 3.5 and then jogged half a lap at 4.2  alternately until I'd gone 2 miles, finishing with a cool down at 3.2 for one lap.
  5. As your endurance and stamina increase over time (you'll feel it ... you'll know when it happens) so can your distance and speed.  I increase my speed by .2 when I'm ready to step it up and my distance by .5 miles.
 

It's only been a few weeks and already I've found that I'm running more than I'm walking.  YES!  The thing that did the trick for me was slowing my pace waaaaaay down.  I was trying to run at a 5.5 as a beginner before and that was a total fail for me.  I'm up to 4.6 now (after a few laps at 4.2 to get the blood flowing) and it's a very comfortable pace. 
 
That's it!  Viola.  If I can do it, you can do it!   Now come on over to the dark side and get your run on! 

[Image via 1 & 2]

8 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad you found your mojo! ;) I'm am loving it as well! I completed my first and only 5K last October and am currently registered for 2 more 5Ks and 2 half marathons! Scared to death and excited at the same time! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well of course you've done all of this because you are a stud muffin and do everything you put your mind to SO VERY WELL. You're inspiring, Michelle, and you kinda rock! Got any tips of your own? Share, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is GREAT!!! When people tell me they can't run, say 2 miles, I tell them they are running too fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amanda!

    Thanks for stopping in! I appreciate your input on this. Good to know I'm on the right track and it's not just me. ;)

    PS - You are adorable, I love your blog and I just joined your site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. True story! So, so real! Thanks for sharing! Keep on building on your running! Remember when I once said that after losing all my weight, it was the running that actually transformed my body? So true! But taking the baby steps to get there is how it started for me too. Enjoy the journey! And...I'm excited to get back to it, right there with ya, after baby is born! XO - M.A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No shout outs to Wretched of Muirwood go unheard - glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ... well ... a comment from THE AUTHOR of the Muirwood Trilogy on the ole blog here. It's not like THAT happens every day ...

      Hello Mr. Wheeler! Thank you for stopping in to say hello! I'm on your thrid book and loving it. Thank you for sharing your stories with us!

      Delete
  7. I LOVE this and am so very excited to get my run on!!!!

    ReplyDelete