Everything

The last several months of my life have been focused on "The List" ... collecting goods that Macy would need for college. Towels, XL twin sheets, an electric tea kettle, desk lamp, shower caddy, toiletries, new jeans, medicines and vitamins, school supplies, new shoes, bean bag chair, cleaning supplies, etc.  Consequently, since most of my energy has gone into the compilation and completion of this list, I haven't been dreading Macy leaving for college as the nurturing nester in me has been happily occupied.  That's been a very good thing.
 
Macy's fully organized closet! ~ By Maddy Claire

 Moving Macy to college was a joy! We had so much fun getting her situated and set up. The girls on her floor were so nice, the campus is gorgeous, the mood was electric and the overall experience was great. They even had kids dressed in bright blue t-shirts called "Helps" that descended on our car like piranha and had it emptied with everything moved into Macy's dorm in less than 15 minutes. AWESOME. The weekend was filled with trips to stores to get last minute odds and ends, photo ops and lots of mutual appreciation moments.  



Home sweet home at WWU

Fast forward to saying goodbye. It's time to go. Macy decides to walk me down the hill from the Viking Commons area to the parking lot across the street from her dorm where my Volvo is parked.

Best friends since birth.
We get into my car. Before I turn the car on to drive up the hill and say goodbye I ask, "Macy, is there anything else you need before I go? Is there anything else I can get for you?"

Macy turns her face to me and I see tears running down her cheeks as she replies, "No Mom ... you've already given me EVERYTHING."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're both toast. Gone. Done. Puddled. I hug her close in the car and we cry grateful tears together. Soft ones from way down deep. Good tears. Mother/daughter tears.

Her words were soothing to this Mother's heart, and with them she gave eveything to me. 

I love this season in our lives.  I really do.
 
 
"Plus que ma propre vie"

 



5 comments:

  1. My heart runneth over. Lord, give me the wisdom to raise such wonderful children. Love you!

    ~Holly F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Holly! I think you're doing a fantastic job at being an amazing Mom! You raise the bar darned high, GF! xoxo

      Delete
  2. (Bare with me I just replied, and it disappeared...new to google+ blogging internet machine thingy). ;)

    That was beautifully written my friend. You know how to share from the heart. I was thinking on the commute in, of all the ways I'm blessed by your friendship. This is one of the many. You have such grace, wisdom, passion and a deep kindred spirit, that all who know you and love you are blessed. Your children are the most blessed, what a gift you are to them. And they to you. I only hope as I begin this journey myself soon, that I will have what you have created. What absolute joy. You've raised two outstanding women. Bravo. I love "this season" you mentioned in your life...it suits you well. Looking forward to following your blog posts. Thank you again for sharing, that was lovely.

    xo,
    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I adore you! Thanks for "seeing me', for your encouragement ... for saying what's on your heart and mind to bless others "while it's still called 'today'". You don't let moments slip away ... just one of the many things I love about you. Can't wait to play in Bellingham with you in less than a month!!!

      Delete